Saturday, July 6, 2013

We Interrupt this Regularly Scheduled Blog.......

O.K. It is now official, I, Pocahontas, am now declaring that I'm going to make another bid for a thru hike in 2014.
I think that with
hiking my own hike (HYOH), I stand a better chance of being able to concentrate on what I'm doing, and set my own hiking pace. This last attempt showed us that our hiking styles are dramatically different from each other than they were in '99, we could not get it together on any given day. Add to that the fact that I like to set a pace and go for a while, and at the same time Legasorus likes to stop every 100 feet and find out where he is on the maps. Those two styles are not compatable together.

Lego will be a valuable resupply person for me, as he knows the needs of a thru hiker, in all the different sections. I will be setting up my blog a little differently, and I hope to have a post for each day, along with miles hiked for that day. On my own I will be more relaxed and able to have time for blogging. 

I will be updating this blog about our road trip in a couple of weeks, we will have our big computers again, and blogging will be much easier then. We have great pictures to share, and great stories to tell. Hang in there to all of our friends, we aren't through yet!

6 comments:

  1. Try try again. Glad to hear you are giving it another go. Hiking Your Own Hike is the only way to go especially on a long distance hike. That's what makes group hiking tough at times. Hope you both continue to have a great time on your current road trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is tough to go with a group, even if it's one other. I just couldn't bear to let this year be the end, and not knowing if I had it in me, doing it my own way.

      Delete
  2. I think you're spot on about the different hiking styles. That's why it's usually better to just find people on the trail (or road, if bike touring) and hang out for a specific section or two. I had trouble finding this blog and glad you're enjoying some of the western U.S. I've visited most of the areas where you've been. Take in Monument Valley if you have time.

    Lost and Found

    PS - I bailed on Cycle Oregon, but am p,naming to be in a PCT trail work crew or two in August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see you found us, Lost and Found. Thank you for the suggestion, but we are now home. Time to update the blog, and check out my new site for next years hike which can be found on our blog list to the right. I'm sorry you couldn't ride in cycle Oregon, but we hope you have a blast with the PCT trail work crew. Legasorus is going to be hiking Washington in a couple of weeks.

      Delete
  3. Way to go Pocahontas! You go girl! Your previous attempts will help you as well as Lego's support. You have a year to prepare (just think of all those practice beams in your backyard!!) We aren't completely off yet. We are doing everything we can to get back on and maybe knock out WA and our remaining OR miles.

    Will we ever finish CA? Who knows. Not this year but maybe in the future. If not, it's been great what we've done.

    We are so happy with all the friends we've met, like you, through this experience.

    You go girl--beat this trail!

    Love
    KOKO & TBG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You two got off the trail where we did in '99. We got over one more pass than you did, but it was basically the same. Thank you for your support, and I intend to give it my all next year. We too cherish the friendships we have made over the course of this last year, we wouldn't change anything for the world. Have a blast hiking the rest of Oregon and Washington, keep a look out for Legasorus!

      Delete